Fire kills Pickens woman

Rocky Nimmons/Courier

A Pickens woman lost her life after a fire at her home on Ann Street on Tuesday afternoon.

PICKENS — A fire at her home Tuesday afternoon claimed the life of a Pickens woman.

Kathleen Bagwell, 79, was found dead around 10 feet from the back door inside her home at 314 Ann St., according to her son.

Tony Bagwell said his mother called him while he was at work and told him something was on fire and he should come home quickly.

“I said, ‘I’m on my way,’” he said.

By the time he got there, it was too late.

“I got home as fast as I could, but the house was already up and the fire department was working on it,” he said.

At press time Tuesday, officials had not released any information about the fire, which began shortly after 1 p.m.

According to Bagwell, the home was heated with kerosene heaters, which may have caused the blaze.

He also said his mother had a heart problem and issues getting around.

There were also several pets in the home, and Bagwell said his mother’s caring heart may have led her to try to save them.

“She probably did, knowing her,” he said.