Historic Cold Spring Missionary Baptist Church celebrates 146th anniversary

PICKENS — Cold Spring Missionary Baptist Church celebrated its 146th year Anniversary on May 1.

Located on Rosman Highway in Pickens, the church was founded in 1870 under a brush arbor, with the Rev. Andy Gowens serving 20 years as the first pastor.

5-11 Page 2B.inddUnder him, a log cabin was built. The Rev. George Earl was the second pastor, and he served for 27 years. The Rev. Baker was pastor for a [cointent_lockedcontent]

brief period. The Rev. J.H. McKissick followed as pastor for a number of years. The Rev. E.D. Watkins served the congregation for 28 years. Thereafter, the Rev. Brooner was pastor for a year and a half, and then the Rev. M.P. Robinson was pastor for one year, followed by Rev. E.L. Ellis. Under the Rev. George Earl, the present church was built, and under the Rev. Ellis, many improvements were made. The Rev. C.C. Stewart served for 13 years, and the Rev. James E. Williams served for several years until his death. The Rev. Jonas W. Elrod served as the pastor for a few years.

After the Rev. James W. Hallums became pastor following Elrod’s departure, the present church was renovated and great improvements were made to the Fellowship Hall, and a church sign was established. Under Hallums’ leadership, many souls have come to Christ. Hallums is very involved in local, state and national Baptist work.

The land for Cold Spring Missionary Baptist Church was given by the estate of Mae Bruce in 1870. The land for the cemetery was given by J.D. Welborn in 1885.

There was also a Cold Spring School, which operated with F.L. Lawson as principal from 1938-1939 and 1941-1942, then later with Mrs. Amenda Rosemond as principal from 1945-1946.

In 1878, Mrs. Lucie Bruce and Francis Mauldin gave the black people one acre of land to be used for school purposes. When it ceased to be used for school purposes, it would revert back to the grantors. That same year, a log cabin was constructed, which was crude and unceiled with plank seats and no blackboard. The windows were wooden shutters. A big fireplace at one end of the building was the only method of heating. Later, a hailstorm blew the building away, and the church was used until 1934. The first teacher of Cold Spring School was Rev. McKissick. He was followed by Ethel Hagood, Jim Richardson and Rev. Lawton.

In 1913, Cold Spring had 20 days of school and an enrollment of 25. The teacher, who held a second-grade certificate, received an annual salary of $25. The building and grounds were valued at $125.

By 1949, the white wooden building consisted of one room. The floors were oiled, the blackboards were good and the windows had both shades and curtains. The school had an organ. The school did not have a lunch program. Eight pupils were enrolled in the seven grades of this lay-by type of school, which had one teacher, in 1949.