Officials: Woman fired shot that killed man in Dacusville

DACUSVILLE — Pickens County Sheriff’s Office investigators have confirmed through eyewitness accounts that one of two women inside a home with a Dacusville man fired the shot that killed him last week.

According to Pickens County Coroner Kandy Kelley, Travis Scott Whitman, 47, of 573 Franklin Finley Road, was killed by a single gunshot wound to the chest at around 7 p.m. on March 25.

Sheriff’s office officials are awaiting toxicology reports from an out-of-state laboratory that will provide information in the case, according to a statement released Monday by chief deputy Creed Hashe.

Hashe said officers received a 911 call about a shooting victim at about 7 p.m. on the night of March 25. Upon their arrival less than 10 minutes later, deputies found Whitman dead of a gunshot wound.

Detectives have compiled the facts in the case, including evidence found at the scene and information from two adult women who were inside the home when the shooting occurred, Hashe said. He also said witness accounts have indicated one of the two women fired the fatal shot.

Sheriff’s office officials have been in constant contact with 13th Circuit Solicitor Walt Wilkins’ office concerning the circumstances surrounding the case, and upon receipt of the toxicology reports will provide that information to Wilkins for his review and subsequent decision on possible charges, Hashe said.

“I fully understand that there are people in the community who want the gory details about this shooting, but hopefully they have seen during my administration that I will not release information until it is appropriate and not until all of the facts are known,” Pickens County Sheriff Rick Clark said.

“A man lost his life, and there are numerous relatives hurting from this tragedy,” he said. “The hurried release of details or a rush to judgment on preliminary information will not bring Mr. Whitman back. A thorough and complete investigation will ensure that everyone involved in this case will receive a fair and impartial review of the facts as they apply to the law.”

Hashe said toxicology reports can take up to three weeks to be completed depending on a laboratory’s volume of requests, which are sent from areas all across the country.