Porter wins main event at GPS

EASLEY — Toby Porter had to battle Marty Ward the first few laps of Saturday night’s Late-Model Stock main event at Greenville-Pickens Speedway, but once he cleared Ward for the uncontested lead, he stepped on ahead to win his third race of the season.
Porter, who was hounded with handling problems last season which kept him out of victory lane, remains undefeated this year after extensive rebuilding during the winter.
“It’s easy to drive when the car handles like mine is handling,” Porter said in victory lane. “Once I got ahead of Ward, everything just went my way.”
Anthony Anders finished second, with Ward third and Jeremy Burns fourth. Ralph Carnes was the fifth-place finisher.
Nate Monteith, Will Burns, defending champion Randy Porter, Joey Colins and Tasha Porter Kummer rounded out the top 10.
Kyle Ballew was involved in “a racing deal” during the Renegade main event, but went on to take the checkered flag. Ballew apologized to the other driver from victory lane.
“I really hate that,” Ballew said. “I thought I was clear, but I wasn’t.”
Brandon Fox finished second, with the third-place finisher disqualified. Andrew Cordell moved up into third, with Brad Burns fourth and Jeremy Drummond in fifth.
Tim Lollis jumped out front on the very first lap of the Trucks main event, and was never headed to take the win. Chris Chastain was second with a comfortable lead over Randy Ballew, who finished third. Ryan Walker was fourth and Michael Altop fifth.
Chuckie Greer had to start at the rear of the field in the Charger division main event due to a prior victory, but he steadily worked his way to the lead and drove on to take the checkered flag.
“A lot of the guys have new cars this year and haven’t quite figured them out,” Greer said. “I was able to catch Mike (Mote) on the high side and get by for the win.”
Mote took second, with Andy Norris third, James Johnson fourth and Zach Pressley fifth.
David Rader took the win in the Street Stock main, with Mark Gibson second and Kirk Gibson third. Furman Craft was fourth.
Kenneth Bearden was the winner in the new four-cylinder division. James Madden was second and Robert Floyd was third.